Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ralph Waldo Emerson Trust 30 Challenge Prompt 12: Fear, What Does It Matter?

This prompt by Lachlan Cotter is about recognizing fear, confronting fear and then kicking fear squarely and confidently in the stones.

Even when gainfully employed (prior to 9/08) I was unsettled.  I was making good coin working in a niche industry that despite all predictions was contracting instead of expanding. I needed a (better?) long term plan but with a stay at home wife and two kids, I would not consider anything. At least I could afford the antacid to treat the feeling in the pit of my stomach.

In September, 2008 my employers suggested I do something else for anyone else. I was confronted by the fact that their was nothing (including what I had heretofore done) that I was passionate about doing. My enforced sabbatical led me to social media to test a hypothesis about using Twitter to drive B2C demand during off peak hours. I found my hypothesis faulty, but learned that I liked social media, a lot.

I continued to expand my network and I am now privileged to be connected with a large number of entrepreneurs using social media to drive their business ventures. These people are examples of where I want to be within my own niche. The cost of failure is far less than the cost of sitting on the sideline by whatever currency counted.

In case I am making a mistake by venturing forward,  I say to the future:
It is impossible for the the blunder to be of significance in 10 minutes, 10 days or 10 weeks.  That is too short a time to measure the success(es) or failure(s) of any venture. As for 10 years from now, if I have erred in this venture, the strength and knowledge I gained from the attempt laid the groundwork for future success in new areas.

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment