Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Disable Autosend.

I was out and about Monday afternoon to pick up my wife's Valentine's Day gift. While in the car I was listening to the Chicago sports talk station.  The topic was Jeremy Lin, or more specifically tweets about Jeremy Lin. In short order these tweets were shared and dissected:
source: Wikipedia

  • Pat Fitzgerald (or someone representing Pat Fitzgerald), Northwestern U. football coach tweeted that at last there was someone in the NBA that plays hard and says the right thing.
  • Floyd Mayweather tweeted that Lin was a good player but his success/publicity was because he wasn't black.
  • Jason Whitlock tweeted a thinly veiled reference to penis size. Whitlock's tweet was meant to be humorous and Whitlock failed to be funny.
I have always found one of the best features of social media was the ability to review my thought before expressing myself by hitting send.  I wonder what Lin, a Harvard, graduates thinks about the tweets listed above?

Have you ever posted something online that didn't turn out the way you had intended? Do you find e-communication simpler or more complicated than "live" communication?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post, Barry. I know I've rethought a post an many occasions, because I wasn't sure how it would be taken, or I didn't want to convey the wrong idea, or someone wouldn't realize it was meant to be humorous. Like in real life though, some people just say what they think, with no filter used on their thoughts. I think social media mimics the real world in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy Jean, thanks for stopping by and the kind words. I, too look at something before I send and realize that my intonation is missing and perhaps I might be misunderstood. Better that measured is misconstrued as boring than cutting edge perceived as offensive. Still, I scratch my head as supposedly media savvy pros venture into stupid.

    ReplyDelete