Thursday, February 16, 2012

ROL: Do Something.

ROL (Return On Life) is about engaging in small incremental changes that can have a large positive impact on living life. ROL is a non-quantitative adaptation of the financial measure ROI (return on investment). This week's ROL is about doing something.

Little Suzy brought a flyer home from school yesterday. As with most school flyers, Suzy said, "Mommy, Daddy I want to do this." The flyer had the details about "Jump Rope For Heart".
source: Heart Foundation

Little Suzy is blessed with my intelligence (that's a good thing usually) and my dexterity (that's a good thing rarely). I doubt Suzy can jump rope for 10 minutes or 10 turns, whichever comes first. Also, neither myself nor my wife come from a large family, so there aren't many potential sponsors in our inner circle. And none of that matters.

Both Mommy and I are 100% in with Little Suzy being involved with "Jump Rope For Heart." The understanding of doing something for others is great to learn at an early age. The good feelings that come along with helping others is secondary. On top of it all, Suzy's doctor has prescribed regular exercise to offset Suzy's taste for empty carbs, another inheritance from me. So Suzy's participation in "Jump Rope For Heart" is win/win. Doing something for others usually is win/win.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! I recently did a Polar Plunge to benefit the Special Olympics of Missouri. Not only was it a lot of fun (albeit freezing!) I feel like a better person for lending my support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik,
      The Special Olympics do wonderful things. Every kids should have the opportunity to feel like a champ. The neat part is you got to feel like a champ, too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Barry, you have come across the best training anywhere, bar none. it will make you all happy and intelligent through cross crawl. you must learn to heel toe and cross over some day...double Dutch. I am so proud of you, Cheif. This may inspire me to make you an instructional video...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    Thanks for the kind words, but let me make it clear that while I fully support Little Suzy in "Jump Rope For Heart", Little Suzy will be doing all the jumping. She may yet show some dexterity, that ship has sailed for me.

    ReplyDelete