Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sweet Of Milk?

I was wandering through the cereal aisle at Big Box Mart when I saw a brand new product, Dulce de leche Cheerios. My initial thought was, really?

The first time I learned of dulce de leche was in "Guys and Dolls".
(Yes, that's a young and healthy Marlon Brando. Later he sings and dances during "Luck Be A Lady". Nostalgia.) Dulce de leche has more uses and meanings than a tool for getting a teetotaler drunk. Still, I'm not only skeptical, I'm a bit bothered by Dulce de Leche Cheerios.

I have no gripes with GM (Mills, not Motors) nor with their marketing department. I'm just weary of over the top hype. "Get rich with no effort", "Eat all you want and lose weight", "Tastes just like the real thing", "Oatie circles that taste like dulce de leche".

It's been a challenging few years and it doesn't appear to be over. Simple and straight forward wording will go a long way to aiding in a world wide recovery.

Can anyone help me gain some perspective?

4 comments:

  1. The new way to market these days is throw anything at the public and see what sticks. It seems to all be trial and error anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I.M.
      Actually, I need to disagree with you. There has always been an advertising meme of just claiming everything is the greatest thing since sliced bread, including sliced bread. Given the large number of communication tools at our disposal, I wish major advertisers would do a better job of reaching out and doing something new. Run a search engine on Sunsweet Prune commercials and you'll see an advertising guy sticking a pin in that balloon in a commercial. You can also just read the post "It Only Hurts When I Laugh" from Dec, 2012, right here on this blog and see how Stan Freberg chose not to treat consumers like idiots.
      As always, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Dulce de Leche is not out yet where you live, but here at the border everything has been that flavor forever. This is all about the Hispanificartion of the US..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam,
    The Hispanic market is the largest growing demographic in the US. We also have a ton of hispanic themed products. The idea of dulce de leche Cheerios (unless by some miracle the Cherrios actually taste like dulce de leche) is an affront. I am all for reaching and recognizing a growing demographic. It's done with real stuff, not puffery.

    ReplyDelete