Friday, January 13, 2012

Unseasonably Seasonal.

Wednesday, Rockford reached an all time high temperature of 57 degrees for January 11. Thursday, the snow started falling about 8 A.M. By 9:30 PM 6 inches of snow covered the area. 6 inches of snow is a mere love-tap in the Midwest. Unfortunately the snow still needs to be moved.
Mommy has to be at work by 6:30 AM, which means a 4 A.M. wake up for me to clear the driveway. In a fit a pique, the snowblower refused to start. The snowblower had been inactive for 11 1/2 months and whether it's protest was due to being ignored or awoken from it's hibernation is unsure.  What was sure was that I was clearing the driveway by shovel, with a huge helping of legs and a side of back.

Luckily, the snow was light and powdery, not wet and heavy.  Deep breathing and a couple of ibuprofen will take care of my residual soreness. I'll fiddle with the snowblower in daylight and get the bugger started. As I waited with Little Suzy for her school bus I was struck by one thought:
Items that were once a luxury (snowblower, cell phone, microwave) are now considered a necessity. As often as I talk about seeking a simpler life, maybe not so much.
How about you? Would you give up technology for a simpler but intimate lifestyle? Or are you tied to to the convenience of modern life?

No comments:

Post a Comment