Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ralph Waldo Emerson Trust 30 Challenge: I Won't Be Who I Don't Want To Be.

Hi Trust 30. It's about time I managed to get reacquainted with you. Trust 30, you've definitely helped me find my confidence and my voice. I must say, you look better than ever.

This Trust 30 prompt comes from Harley Schreiber. The challenge is to consider all that I don't want to be five years from now and produce a plan that will keep me from being someone I wouldn't befriend. This prompt should be easy, I've met and worked for a number of people that are poster children for someone I don't want to be when I grow up.

Not Gonna Be in Five Years.
I don't want to be someone petty and mean in spirit. I don't want to use money or material possessions as a way of keeping score. I don't want to be someone that looks back on missed opportunity (we all have some missed opportunities along the way) and start sentences with "If I had only..." Finally and most importantly I will refuse to dwell on (perceived?) insults and screw jobs and use that anger as a force to determine my future. 


Easy In Theory
What is an absolute sure fire way to avoid being the miscreant described above? One word: Perspective. I must make a consistent choice to live in the here and now. The harsh words in an argument with a loved one are to be blown away in a bubble while the underlying cause becomes a discussion topic. Understand people for who they are. Have the common sense to not play Charlie Brown while trying to kick Lucy's football. Further, when the desire for revenge arises, visualize the success of Wile E. Coyote in his endeavors with the Roadrunner. Finally I must remember that material objects and money are just a means to an end, the end being a high quality life.

I Named This Blog.
In summary, all I need to do to avoid being someone I dislike is to remember the title of this blog. Do I want the gathering at the end of my life to be would have, could have, should have? Do I want my kids to remember a list of "if only"? No. I want my funeral to be stories that evoke both laughter and tears. Perspective is the path of the happy.

How do you keep your eyes on the prize? Who would you not want to be and how do you plan to avoid becoming that person?


No comments:

Post a Comment