Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice.

Today is the 1st day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. Officially it's the Summer Solstice. Many say this is the longest day of the year and they're all wrong. Days are 24 hours along (approx) every day of the year. The Summer Solstice is the day with the more daylight than any other day of the year. Today there will be 15 hours, 16 minutes and 28 seconds of daylight. That's 2 more seconds of daylight than yesterday or tomorrow. It may not sound like much but those 2 seconds become more than 2 seconds and add up quickly. By December those 15 hours 16 minutes 28 seconds of daylight will become 9 hours 5 minutes 10seconds of daylight. 6+ hours of less daylight is significant.

It's been great this month going outside after 8 PM with the sky still light.  July 4th fireworks will wait until after 9 PM to make sure the sky is completely dark.  Soon enough, though the sky will be dark at 7:30 PM, 7 PM and even earlier.  So no matter how grand the Summer Solstice may be it has a melancholy lining. It's a warning that the daylight party is coming to an end.  There is still lots of really really good. Evening barbeques,
backyard firepits and glorious late summer/early fall afternoons. Still, the Summer Solstice warns us that soon enough the cold winter nights will be here. Don't overlook a minute of those long summer days.

I know that I have already reached my Summer Solstice. Whether I'm between July 4th and Labor Day or between Labor Day and Halloween is unknown. I hope I'm not yet close to Thanksgiving or Christmas. I still have too much left to accomplish, too much left I want to experience. For me the Summer Solstice is a reminder reminder to cherish every day. It's important I make every day count. Not only must I recognize each ray of sunshine, I must seek out those rays of sunshine. Whether I like it or not Winter will find me. Winter is always a bit easier with great summer memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment