Monday, June 6, 2011

Ralph Waldo Emerson Trust 30 Day Challenge: Day 6, Stop Planning, Start Living

This prompt suggests abandoning things that would not be part of a 1 week left to live "to do list". Only do that which "inspires" and abandon all else.

My first read on this prompt found it wanting. I originally had reclassified it as procrastination and had outlined my response. On a reread I find the prompt objectionable and childish. Here's why:

I can't live as though I have 1 week left to live unless I only have 1 week left to live. If  I had one week left to live I wouldn't mow the lawn, pull weeds or pay bills. Hell, if I had one week left to live I wouldn't respond to this prompt.

Distasteful and wasteful though it may be, adults have to regularly engage in behavior that is less than inspiring.The term is responsibility. It's appealing to list items I wouldn't do if I had 1 week left to live. Unfortunately that gets in the way of getting things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment