Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ralph Waldo Emerson Trust 30 Challenge: Self Portrait.

This Trust 30 prompt is from Matthew Stillman. The challenge is to: a) intentionally look less than my best according to societal norms b) capture the "look" in a photo and c) blog about it.  And away we go.

I Am Not A Morning Person.
I get up at 5:20 AM weekdays. Why? Because my 2nd grade daughter, Susy* has to catch her school bus at 6:45 AM. She gets up at 5:40 AM. I need to be up and moving before Susy, otherwise I spend all morning catching up. My son, Mario** doesn't need to get up until 7:30 AM, so after I put Susie on the bus, I go for a 35 minute walk.

Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2011
6:33 AM
Warts And All.
Yup, that's me via my MyTouch 4G. No shave and that's the t-shirt I slept in. I probably haven't brushed my teeth, either. Hopefully my Andy Warhol 15 are not about to happen.



Comfortable In My Own Skin.
When I leave the house, I try and look presentable. T-shirts and gym shoes occasionally, torn jeans almost never.  If I'm specifically going to meet someone or network, I'll dress nicer. Shaving is a must and if I have enough notice I'll get a haircut (insert own joke here).

What's The Point?
I've never been particularly concerned with fitting in and I don't care if people don't care for my choices. Still, since the rest of the world is in the "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression"club I have to act accordingly. I do live in this world. Besides, I do feel a bit sharper when I dress with care. Sometimes that little extra edge is all it takes to carry the day.

How do you see yourself? How do you display your self image? Do you make a point to dress up, dress down or just put on whatever is handy?

*not her real name, named in honor of Susy Johnson, Jeremy's cutting edgy little sister on Phineas and Ferb.
**not his real name. My son's an Aspie and one of his areas of expertise are all things Mario, hence the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment